Cheers
Per-Anders Sjöström

Main Menu

PA03 Pavel Duvek PSU Supply

Started by cstoute78, August 12, 2009, 01:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cstoute78

Hi,
I'm currently building two of the PA03 PCB's and have a question, instead of having two 200VA Torodial's to supply each PCB. Can I get one 400VA Torodial to supply the two?

Many Thanks
C

peranders

It might work but the biggest issue may be hum problems. If you'll use one transformer per pcb you can be sure that you will get the highest performance since the pcb layout is extremely advanced when it comes to reduce hum and distortion coming from the ground traces.
/Per-Anders Sjöström, owner of this forum

Homepage with my DIY hifi stuff

cstoute78

Ok thats a fair enough reply, I wouldn't want any humming. Only one other question, looking at the DC Trap circuit where is it best placed before the Primary winding or after the secondary output?

Only asking as I'm currently planning my wiring layouts.

peranders

One of the most common trouble with multichannel amps is how to make a correct grounding and the problem increases with the number of channels. It's not a coincidence that many multichannel amps have separate transformers.

The DC trap is for blocking DC coming INTO the transformer (causing mechanical hum), so it must be connected on the primary side. If you read the description of the DC trap you will have most of the info there.

cstoute78

Hi PA,

I'm currently building my PCB's now and I was going to ask you do you think this Transformer would be sufficent for my PA03's?
http://uk.farnell.com/multicomp/mcfe500-25/transformer-500va-2-x-25v/dp/9532021

Cheers  :-)

peranders

Very suffficient! 100 VA or so is sufficient for normal audio. 200-300 VA is technical OK and 500VA is an overkill.

cstoute78

Many thanks I've looked at 100VA to 150VA rated ones now and shall be ordering them soon. Thanks again for your input PA