Cheers
Per-Anders Sjöström

Main Menu

QSX03 A new RIAA amp with passive RIAA correction

Started by peranders, April 15, 2008, 08:11:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peranders

Specifications of my new RIAA amp project can be found here

Please add ideas and wishes here if you want.
/Per-Anders Sjöström, owner of this forum

Homepage with my DIY hifi stuff

rclourenco

:-D
Fantastic I will wait very nervously for this, by the list of features you publicited it looks very, very promissing.

Another Idea, have you tought about going Battery powererd?

And adjustable gain?

Balanced its a must, the rest very good, please don't forget about the power supply its a must to have the best.

regards,

peranders

About gain, see item 2 in my wish list!

Battery, no not by me but can't see any problems if you want to use batteries.

roberto.missoli

And what about to have Pseudo-Differential input (as an optional configuration)?

[attachment deleted by admin]

peranders

Nothing stops you to use the "b" configuration but I will not incorporate a true balanced input just because this is extremely rare.

enzedone

I don't know much about this sort of stuff, except I would like it to be switchable between MC & MM without having to open the case and change resistors  and the likes to match up cartridges.
Just my simple thoughts.
Edit: Sorry....just read the title page for this project.........Doh!

Brett.

sek

Hi there,

what impedance level can be tolerated in the passive network?

I'm asking because larger resistances allow for smaller capacitances - and this would in turn allow for either high quality and/or small size capacitors.

As an example, I'm thinking of NP0 ceramic capacitors in the network. They are easily available as SMT or thru-hole parts up to around 3.9nF, but not larger.

On the other hand, the network takes physical space to lay out on a PCB, which gives inductance to the board traces. The higher the impedance, the more sensitive the network gets - leading to EMI and increased noise level.

Using capacitors in the single nanofarads brings the series resistor up into the hundreds of kiloohms. Would this be a problem inbetween two opamp stages?

Small, inexpensive, high precision components can never hurt. And the prospective of a tiny PCB routing area with short traces is intriguing. :wink:

Cheers,
Sek.

peranders

I can't tell you right now but higher impedance will be more sensitive against stray capacitances => not so go RIAA curve unless you can measure it and adjust it accordingly. It's also important to not generate more noise than necessary.

byggareandy

Hi, I'm about to build me a RIAA amplifier. Is this one to be finished in a near future? /Andreas
Ingen signatur för tillfället

peranders

I'm afraid we are talking about the distant future right now.

enzedone

Good things come to those who wait..... :-D

I lost money on Rhys,s 'Phono 3' boards GB. Money I'd rather have spent on my little boy.
So no more rubbish projects for me. I'll just wait for this project to be completed. And at least I know that it will be well produced and well organised and honest.
Peranders, your boards are always very nice.... :-). Thanks for producing them for idiots like myself with no ability.

peranders

Thanks, but the hope for Rhys isn't completely gone. If stuff turns up here tomorrow, there will be some hope after all.

byggareandy

What will the main improvements be from your QSX Mark III? Is there something outstanding with your new RIAA that would make it worth waiting for. /Andreas
Ingen signatur för tillfället

peranders

Using passive correction is just an another flavor. That's all.