Welcome to my DIY audio forum.

Cheers
Per-Anders Sjöström

Main Menu

qsxm3

Started by yiancar, October 13, 2013, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peranders

A normal EI-core transformer has a magnetic leakage field but either has less. You can get rid of the hum if you have shielded wires inside and you can also insert a steal shield between the transformer and the rest.
/Per-Anders Sjöström, owner of this forum

Homepage with my DIY hifi stuff

yiancar

I have shielded wires and that reduced the ham a lot , at the volume i hear it i never use the amp, its intolerable. using a steel sheet the hum gets redued even more . but there is still some there i guess the amplifier is just too sensitive at that point?

yiancar

I belive that something is wrong with one of the channels lt1115. when i mesure the opamps out one of them gives me a stable voltage where the other suddenly drops to a -ve voltage. any chance that the answer?  Also the output of the lt1010 on the side with the hum is 0.002v where on the silent side is ~0.6v

Edit:
I am usign a single transformer so i tried moving it from one channel to the other and guess what the hum passed to the other channel. So does this mean that i need an ac line filter or something?

peranders

Is the sound quality good?

yiancar

when playing music its excelent. so the ics are ok right?

maybe i should use an emi filter on the mains ?

peranders

What is the problem right now?

yiancar

hum , to the channel the transformer is connected to ( the bridged channel also has hum but lots less)

peranders

Is the transformer feeding two channels? How does this connection look like?

yiancar

peranders

The green wire, what is that for?

yiancar

i use it ad a ground when i probe

peranders

Are you getting hum when nothing is connected at the input? Is the hum audible or do you see the hum on your oscilloscope only?

yiancar

with nothing connecred on the input i het noise which u explained is from the high gain. the hum is audible only at about 3/4 and above of the volume of my amp. and its louder on the channel that the transformer is connected to

peranders

Is it 50/60 Hz hum or 100/120 Hz? If it is 50 Hz, then you have a ground loop or magnetic coupling from the transformer. 100 Hz and harmonics comes from the smoothing caps.

How high is the hum compared to the normal music level?

Does the hum go away if you locate the transformer further away?

yiancar

i thing ot is 100/120 hz . the hum is very low compaired to music level. if i take the transformer further away it seems to decrease but not complitly. btw if i move my input cable over the caps it gets very loud so maybe harmonics?