Welcome to my DIY audio forum.

Cheers
Per-Anders Sjöström

Main Menu

Ribbon microphone

Started by roberto.missoli, November 13, 2011, 03:56:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roberto.missoli

I have a ribbon microphone and I want to use it without the output transformer. If I remove the transformer I have this situation:

- the impedance is 0.5 Ohm and the output voltage is 0.04mV/Pa without the transformer

Do you think I can use one of the two RIAA amplifiers or the impedance is too low, than I still need a transformer?

Of course I need a DC input, but I think it is not a problem with these preamp.

Roberto Missoli
Italy

roberto.missoli

.... I forgot to say: with a RIAA bypass....

peranders

The QSXM2 would probably work.
/Per-Anders Sjöström, owner of this forum

Homepage with my DIY hifi stuff

roberto.missoli

Thank you

I have these question:
1) In the input transistor array is it possible to use this type of component =>  http://www.thatcorp.com/datashts/THAT_300-Series_Datasheet.pdf
2 Do you think I need the input bias servo with a ribbon microphone?
3 Can I keep the signal directly for the Pre amplifier (PREAP-OUT to RIAA stage)? The idea is to use only this part with a new very compress PCB to install near (or inside) to the microphone. (Of course I need your authorization and I ready to pay the royalties)

peranders

1 Yes

2 Probably not

3 It might work depending of how much gain you want. Gut feeling says no.

roberto.missoli

Thank you very much for your fast replay, you are too fast, probably faster that your preamp  :-)

About the question 3, are you able  to evaluate the gain? I think I need 70db (in this case I don't need an extra mic pre-amp) and I can  connect the system directly to a line input.
But if I need the more gain is it easy to de-select the RIAA network?

peranders

I think 40 dB gain per stage is good. It is just to remove the caps in the RIAA network if you want a flat frequency response.